Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
With St. Patrick’s Day at its heart, March is a very green month. People celebrating the luck of the Irish wear green clothing, drink green beverages and can even enjoy a shamrock milkshake, from time to time.
We’d like to encourage you to go green in another way, too. Being environmentally friendly isn’t an elusive pot of gold at the end of some rainbow — it is something everyone can work toward with little steps. Reusing and recycling, planting a tree and using Social Security’s online services.
When you use Social Security’s online services, no paper, printing, postage or travel are needed. Here are a few of our most popular online services:
• Try out our expanded my Social Security services, available at www.social
security.gov/myaccount. It’s a one-stop shop to obtain a Social Security statement for checking your earnings record or estimated future benefits. Or, if you already get benefits, you can check your payment amount, change your address and telephone number in our records, get a benefit verification letter and start or change your direct deposit information.
• Use our Retirement Estimator to get a quick and accurate estimate of your future Social Security retirement benefits. www.socialsecurity.gov/
• Prepare for your retirement by visiting our Benefits Planner page. You also can go here to use the disability and survivors planners to find out how much you or your family might qualify for if the need arises. www.socialsecurity.gov/
• Retire online! You can complete and submit your retirement application in as little as 15 minutes. www.socialsecurity.gov/
• Apply online for disability benefits. www.socialsecurity.gov/
•Apply online for Medicare benefits. www.socialsecurity.gov/
Go green with Social Security’s online services this month and throughout the year. For a complete list of our online services, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/