Santa will arrive at the Indianapolis Children’s Museum at 8:30 a.m. Friday faster than ever this season in a Dallara IndyCar driven by a Guinness World Record holder. After his speedy arrival, he will make his traditional jolly trip down the Yule Slide at 10 a.m.
Jolly Days Winter Wonderland continues the museum’s holiday celebration from Friday through Jan. 6. Enjoy traditional holiday favorites such as the Yule Slide, Jingles the Jolly Bear and visits with Santa. Have fun with Jingles and his friends. Explore “outdoor” fun at the Ice Castle and Ice Fishing holes. Warm up your imagination by pretend cooking favorite holiday goodies in the kitchen, and help Santa’s reindeer prepare for their flight. For more visit www.childrensmuseum.org/jollydays.
The museum will also offer the following:
• Enjoy a special journey through the winter holidays and discover many cultural traditions in Season of Light from Dec. 1-31. Tickets are free for the SpaceQuest Planetarium. The experience is ideal for ages 6 and up and lasts 40 minutes. For more visit www.childrensmuseum.org/planetarium.
• Target Free Family Night: Toys and Traditions will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Dec. 6. Learn about winter traditions from all over the world, the people who celebrate them, and the toys that help to make them special.
• Visit The Children’s Museum on Christmas Eve and enjoy free admission from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and get in those last-minute requests for the big guy. The museum closes early on this day.
• “The Magic Snowman” is a performance based on a classic tale with story, music and lyrics by Stephen Murray. Patrons can see it various dates from Friday through Jan. 6. A mysterious stranger arrives at a village where everyone is grumpy and gloomy. The stranger’s arrival marks one of the most magical days of the year — winter’s first snow. But the fresh snow fails to cheer up the villagers until the stranger decides to make a magic snowman. Featured in the museum’s Lilly Theater, this interactive musical, based on the classic children’s tale Stone Soup, will delight children of all ages. For more information visit www.childrensmuseum.org/lilly-theater.
• Race to kick off the holiday season in style with Hot Wheels Holiday Late Night from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Nov. 30. Cost is $15 for members and $20 for non-members. Learn how to create super-fast and super flashy rides. Talk shop with the best in the business and meet real-life custom car designers. Build tracks, launch cars and discover secrets to make your car faster. Take a ride with your car creation down the Yule Slide. In the spirit of giving, bring a new or gently used toy to wrap and donate. Light snacks will be provided. For more visit onlinesales.childrensmuseum.org/default.asp?cgcode=6.