By Joey Bennett
With a roster one-third full of Wabash Valley natives, the University of Indianapolis women’s basketball team is ranked fourth in the 2009-10 Division II Bulletin Preseason Poll, released this week.
UIndy (24-10 in 2008-09) enters the season returning most of the nucleus of a club that made its first NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearance a season ago.
Terre Haute North junior Samantha Meissel, who needs only 42 points to reach the 1,000 mark for her young career, leads nine returning players for third-year Head Coach LeAnn Freeland.
Meissel was named a first-team pre-season all-Great Lakes Valley Conference selection. South Putnam senior Jessica Canary was a second-team all-GLVC pick. Canary needs just 25 points to join the 1,000-point club.
Owen Valley freshmen guards Nickole and Heather Gonser are newcomers for the Greyhounds this year.
Last season, Meissel averaged 18.7 points per game in earning first-team all-GLVC honors. Canary led the team in rebounding and blocks and averaged 14.4 points per game.
The Greyhounds ended the season ranked 24th in the USA Today/ESPN/Women's Basketball Coaches Association Division II Final Poll.
• • •
• Whitted first-team all-Summit — IUPUI senior post player Julia Whitted of Northview was recently named to the pre-season first-team all-Summit League women’s basketball team.
IUPUI, which finished fourth in The Summit League a year ago, returns two starters from the 2008-09 squad, including Whitted, who averaged 13.2 points per game to go along with 8.4 rebounds. In conference play, the 6-foot-5 center upped her play, posting 14.2 points and 9.3 boards in 18 games.
She became the 19th IUPUI women’s basketball player to go over the 1,000-point plateau in her final game of the 2008-09 season and has 1,004 points in her career. Overall, the first-team selection was the fourth straight for Whitted, who earned the honors at the end of her sophomore year and was on both preseason and postseason first teams last year.
IUPUI was picked to finish sixth in the conference, and will open the 2009-10 campaign with an exhibition versus Kentucky State on Monday at Conseco Fieldhouse. The Jaguars will open the regular season at Akron on Nov. 13 and will head to Bloomington to take on Indiana at 2 p.m. on Nov. 15.
• • •
• Duncan to EIU — Marshall quarterback Taylor Duncan recently made a verbal commitment to play college football at Eastern Illinois.
He also considered Illinois State and Ball State.
Eastern loses both starter Jake Christensen, who is a graduate student after transferring from Iowa, and previous starter Bodie Reeder, also in his final year of college eligibility.
“My mindset is to go there and compete,” Duncan told the Mattoon Journal-Gazette. “I can’t tell you what’s going to happen. I’m not expecting to start or anything. I am expecting to go there and work hard.”
The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Duncan has passed for more than 1,000 yards this season. As a junior he racked up 1,891 yards on 105-for-186 passing with 24 touchdowns and four interceptions and 743 yards and 13 touchdowns on 156 rushes for a 7-4 team.
“Last year we were a pass-oriented team and this year we’re 50-50,” Marshall Coach Todd Evers told the Journal-Gazette. “He’s done a good job taking on the leadership as a senior. His (passing) attempts are 60 percent of what they were last year. His numbers being down really don’t reflect how he has progressed. He’s a very smart quarterback. I know he’ll succeed at the next level.”
• Nick Murphy, Rose-Hulman, Sr. — Has two interceptions, including one he returned 52 yards for a touchdown.
• Mitch Snyder, Rose-Hulman, Fr. — Has completed 3 of 7 passes for 24 yards and one touchdown.
• Aaron Rhoads, Eastern Illinois, Fr. — No statistics this season.
• Kaleb Brandenburg, McKendree, Fr. — No statistics available.
• Andrew Kuhn, McKendree, Fr. — No statistics available.
• Kyle Nobles, Indianapolis, Fr. — Has not played this season.
• Ryan Roberts, Indiana State, So. — Has rushed 70 times for 279 yards and four touchdowns, while completing 38 of 83 passes for 360 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions.
• Shaine Tierney, St. Francis, Jr. — Has rushed 55 times for 373 yards and seven touchdowns, and has also completed 120 of 180 passes for 1,448 yards, seven touchdowns and five interceptions.
• James Kirkendoll, Texas, Jr. — Has made 22 catches for 209 yards and one touchdown.
• Anthony Oden, Fr., Arkansas — No statistics available.
• Lance Irwin, Rose-Hulman, So. — Has made four tackles, including 0.5 for losses.
• Derek Barker, Rose-Hulman, Fr. — No statistics available.
• Derek Eitel, Rose-Hulman, Sr. — Has completed 143 of 240 passes for 1,989 yards and seven touchdowns with nine interceptions.
• Tyler Howard, Indiana State, So. — No statistics available.
• Travis Johnson, Indiana State, Fr. — Has completed 22 of 48 passes for 152 yards with three interceptions.
• Bobby Short, Rose-Hulman, So. — Has made eight tackles.
• Ethan Nash, Rose-Hulman, So. — No statistics available.
• Joe Evinger, Louisville, Jr. — Has moved up to No. 2 on the depth chart at left guard after missing the first two weeks of practice due to administrative problems with his transfer. Has played in the last three games against Southern Mississippi, Connecticut and Cincinnati.
• Matt Crooks, Marian, Jr. — Has not yet kicked in a varsity game.
• Dylan Kruse, Marian, Fr. — No statistics available.
• Damon Smith, Indiana State, Fr. — No statistics available.
• Ethan Kestenman, Rose-Hulman, So. — No statistics available.
• Ben Wassel, Rose-Hulman, Sr. — Has made 20 tackles, including 2.5 for losses.
• Logan Laflin, Rose-Hulman, Fr. — Has carried the ball twice for four yards.
• Josh Kincaid, Southern Illinois, Fr. — Has made one solo tackle.
• Mitch Downs, Franklin, Jr. — Has 57 carries for 247 yards and two touchdowns to lead team in rushing.
• Zach Clapp, DePauw, So. — Has not played this season.
• Kyle Fahey, Manchester, So. — No statistics available.
• Matt King, Indiana State, Fr. — No statistics available.
• Drew Christy, Rose-Hulman, Sr. — Remains sidelined due to injury.
• Conor Frame, Wabash, Fr. — Has played in one game this season.
Terre Haute North
• Steve Englehart, Rose-Hulman, head coach — Coached team to 4-4 record through eight games.
• Mike Ellis, Rose-Hulman, assistant coach — Has helped coach team to 4-4 record through eight games.
• Ethan Tyler, Rose-Hulman, assistant coach — Has helped coach team to 4-4 record through eight games.
• Derek Guggenberger, Butler, Sr. — Ranks third on team with 38 tackles, including 2.5 for loss, and also has three sacks and one fumble recovery.
• Shawn Hines, Franklin, Sr. — No statistics available.
• Dan Millington, Indiana State, Sr. — Has made 31 tackles, six for loss, with three sacks.
• Justin Hall, Marian, Jr. — Has made four catches for 38 yards.
• Dan Watson, Marian, Jr. — Has played in one game this season.
• Chris Russell, Anderson, Jr. — Has 12 catches for 96 yards.
• Matt Seliger, Indiana State, So. — Has one incomplete pass this season.
• Aaron Edwards, Indiana State, So. — No statistics available.
• Jake Schaffer, Wabash, So. — Has not played this season.
• Scott Weatherford, Eastern Illinois, Fr. — Has not punted yet this season.
• Wade Bush, Indiana State, Fr. — Has no statistics this season.
• Frank Willis, Taylor, Fr. — Has one reception for four yards.
Terre Haute South
• Trent Miles, Indiana State, head coach — Picked up first collegiate head coaching victory against Western Illinois on Oct. 24.
• Pat Duncan, Rose-Hulman, Sr. — Has made 33 tackles, 7 for losses, 3.5 for sacks and four passes broken up.
• Michael Engle, DePauw, Jr. — Has rushed 6 times for 14 yards and one touchdown, and also has completed 22 of 41 passes for 420 yards with three TD passes and one interception.
• Kyle Harruff, Southern Illinois, Jr. — Has one pass reception for 14 yards.
• Kyle Toney, Indiana State, Jr. — Has no statistics for this season.
• Derrelle Hankins, Marian, So. — Has played in nine games, starting six, with 22 tackles (one for loss) and one fumble recovery.
• Koby Kraemer, Indiana State, So. — Has returned 23 kickoffs for 423 yards with a long of 36.
• Brock Lough, Indiana State, So. — Has four carries for seven yards and four receptions for 37 yards.
• Michael Mardis, Indiana State, Fr. — Has six catches for 30 yards this season.
• Josh Bridwell, Indianapolis, Fr. — Has started last eight games as offensive lineman.
• Brandon Heaton, Indianapolis, Fr. — Has not played this season.
• Elias Brown, Indiana State, Fr. — Has no statistics this season.
• Kameron Silcock, Franklin, Fr. — Has one pass reception for 19 yards and one kickoff return for 15 yards.
• Lucas Mackey, Hanover, Fr. — Has made one interception and ranks eighth on team with 22 tackles (two for losses).