TERRE HAUTE — Give Bill Polian plenty of credit. The Indianapolis Colts’ team president and general manager had said late last week that he was going to take all the time he needed in order to get the all nine of his draft picks signed.
As of 3 p.m. Sunday, eight of those picks were under contract and should be ready for the start of today’s two-a-day training camp workouts.
The lone question mark revolves around former Ohio State defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock, who was selected in the third round by Indianapolis. Pitcock, however, still needs to pass his physical before his contract negotiations can be completed. That is expected to happen some time this morning.
Three other draft picks — including second-rounder Tony Ugoh, third-round selection Daymeion Hughes and fifth-round pick Michael Coe — came to terms to with the Colts Sunday and were in camp in time for a team meeting.
Ugoh, who will be a candidate to replace former Indianapolis offensive tackle Tarik Glenn in the starting lineup, agreed to his deal Sunday morning and planned to sign the contract later in the day. The former University of Arkansas offensive lineman inked a four-year deal worth approximately $4 million.
“We got the contract done, so they were going to bring it up here. I wasn’t really worried about my contract. That’s up my agent. I hired some good agents. They do a great job and I have faith in them, so I pretty much this whole time I was worried about football,” he said, adding that he is ready to fully immerse himself in picking up the Colts’ offensive system and try to earn a starting job.
“I just have the same mind set. Get ready as soon as possible. That’s pretty much been my mindset this whole time and however I can help the team, I’m willing to do so.”