Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Congratulations to our Business Recognition Awards winners! Our Awards Luncheon at the Meadows Banquet and Conference Center was a great event to wrap up Business Recognition Week, sponsored by Union Hospital. At the Luncheon we recognized four local businesses as the 2012 Business Recognition Award winners:
• Green Business – 181 Intelligence Wing, Indiana Air National Guard
• Healthy Workplace — Hamilton Center
• Small Business of the Year — ServPro of Vigo County
• Fastest Growing Business — Wright’s Pool Service
Also, thank you to everyone who participated in the 2013 Business Expo. Presented in partnership with the Tribune-Star, this event allowed several local businesses to showcase their goods and services.
The Chamber Classic Golf Outing will be held on May 23 at the Country Club of Terre Haute. Hope to see you all there! Again, the turnouts and involvement of our members signal strong support for our 2013 program.
There are some other events that are being driven by a couple of our strategic initiatives:
• Community Plan – We will develop strategic partnerships on issues of major importance to our community. We will support and participate in Terre Haute Tomorrow.
The Terre Haute Chamber, in partnership with the Terre Haute Economic Development Corporation, has re-activated the Terre Haute Tomorrow planning process. Ten years ago Terre Haute Tomorrow helped launch the Economic Development Corporation., This has also helped create the RiverScape initiative to revitalize the Wabash River and outline strategic directions for many of the redevelopment efforts that are still coming to fruition.
The Terre Haute Tomorrow Steering Committee has partnered with Indiana-based consulting firm CHORUS, Inc. on the development of a visioning process for Terre Haute & Vigo County. Last year, CHORUS worked with the Indiana Chamber of Commerce in their statewide launch of Indiana Vision 2025.
CHORUS has conducted several in-depth surveys, personal one-on-one interviews and a number of focus groups, which have provided a plethora of research on people’s perceptions and ideas on Terre Haute.
All of that research will be used by over 90 community leaders at a community strategic planning forum scheduled for later in May to begin constructing a long-range community plan. This is just the beginning; all segments of the Terre Haute/Vigo County community will be asked to get involved and help move this visioning process forward. Please stay tuned for what will come out of the Community Forum!
The other strategic initiative that is related to this effort is:
• Revitalization of Terre Haute and Wabash Valley – We believe it important to promote a sense of pride in our community, not only amongst businesses but for all of the citizens of Terre Haute. We will maintain continuing support for the positive directions that have been initiated over the past decade in revitalizing our downtown area.
We feel by creating this visioning process that it will help with the goal to create more pride in our community. Again, stay tuned as we continue to show all the positive attributes that Terre Haute/Vigo County have to offer to Indiana and the region.
If you would like more information concerning our activities please feel free to contact me at the Chamber at (812) 232-2391 or email us at memberinfo@terre