Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
For qualified residents in need of assistance with tax returns, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College provides the services of trained volunteers.
For the sixth year, SMWC participates in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program to help low- to moderate-income (generally, $52,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Through VITA, which is a national program, certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country.
During the last tax season, SMWC students prepared 175 tax returns.
The SMWC VITA site will offer free electronic filing and, according to the website www.IRS.gov, “Individuals taking advantage of the e-file program will receive their refunds in half the time compared to returns filed on paper – even faster if you have your refund deposited directly into your bank account.”
Those who wish to have tax returns prepared at a VITA site must bring:
• Photo ID
• Social Security Cards for spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter
• Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for spouse and dependents, proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
• Birth dates on the tax return
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
• Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
• Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate.
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
The VITA site is on the second floor of Hulman Hall, room 213, on the SMWC campus. VITA services will be provided at SMWC on Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. beginning Feb. 4, 2014, and lasting through April 15, 2014.
If you have a simple return and the entire information ready, it may be dropped off at the tax site in Hulman Hall, room 213, during the open hours of the site, as well as Mondays and Fridays from 3 to 4:30 p.m., and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. The completion of additional forms is required. Please provide a valid phone number with your information.
To reserve an appointment with SMWC’s VITA site to file your e-file or paper return, call 812-535-5223. For directions, visit www.smwc. edu/about/campus-map