The Bicentennial Art Center of Paris, Ill., is offering summer classes for ages 4 through adult.
• June 10-14: “Pendulum Painting” will be fun and messy, and weather permitting, will be taught outside. Also among the offerings is an abstract painting class as well as a mixed-media abstract painting class.
• June 17-20: High school art teacher Carrieann Phegley will be teaching six fun and unique classes. For youth: “Monster Art,” “Painting Party” and “Print, Press & Experiment” classes. These classes involve paint, found objects, styrofoam and other craft materials. Phegley also is offering a stained-glass class, a weaving class and a mosaic art class.
• Millie Arp, an art student at Millikin University, is instructing three classes. On June 24, in “Lemon Watercolor,” students will be using watercolors and lemon juice to create pieces. On June 25, Arp will be teaching a portrait class. Students will use a photo of their choice and draw a portrait. On June 26, students will use their hands and learn how to create the illusion of a 3D piece in “Illusionistic Hand.”
• Jewelry maker Joy Wright will be teaching a variety of classes. On the scheduled for July 2 is “Brass Bracelet.” The week of July 22-26, Wright will be teaching students to make “Blue Jean Pendants,” “Blue Jean Seam Bracelets,” “Salt Dough Beads & Pendants” and “Wearable Tag Necklaces,” which are popular right now.
• July 8-11: Paris Elementary School art teacher Jessica Mayhugh will be teaching students how to create a kite, use yarn weaving to make a bookmark and small pouch, create artwork using melted crayons, use watercolors to explore under the sea and make paper mache jellyfish.
• July 16-18: Kari Rajkumar will be teaching “Basic Drawing Techniques” and “Portrait Drawing for Beginners.” These classes are being offered to students ages 12 and up. On July 20, Rajkumar will be teaching a “1 Day Knitting Workshop,” also for students ages 12 and up.
Two new instructors this year are graduates of Indiana State University.
• June 25-28 and July 30-Aug. 2: Soully Abas will be teaching “Plein Air Watercolor,” which will introduce students to the fundamental techniques of watercolor medium outdoors and also a “Watercolor for Beginners” class for ages 5-8. “Oil Pastel Transfer,” also for ages 5-8, will feature a technique to recreate favorite images of animals, heroes or cartoon characters. Abas also will be teaching a collage class.
• June 25-28 and July 30-Aug. 1: Jason Krueger will be teaching classes that include a digital photography class for beginners ages 7-10, an acrylic and oil painting class for older students, an ink drawing class teaching students to mix ink with other materials like walnuts and Kool-Aid, and a printmaking class in which students will be designing their own T-shirts.
For more information on dates, times, ages, prices and class descriptions, visit www.parisartcenter.com.
Participants are asked to dress in old clothing, or to bring a paint shirt. To enroll, stop by the Art Center at 132 S. Central Ave. in Paris, Ill. Office hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. Or contact Susan at 217-466-8130, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.