TERRE HAUTE —
The Terre Haute Community Band has put out a call for musicians in the greater Terre Haute area to join it as it prepares for the 2013 summer concert season.
Rehearsals will begin at 7 p.m. on Monday in the Cecilian Auditorium at Saint Mary of the Woods College, conductor Yvonne Newlin said.
Musicians in the band are expected to have a high school level of competency on their instruments to play the varied repertoire scheduled for the seven concerts.
All concerts are free and performed in Fairbanks Park in Terre Haute. With the exceptions of the July Fourth concert and the Community Band Festival set for July 19 and 20, the Saturday night concerts begin at 8.
- June 8, “On the Banks of the Wabash (Far Away)”
- June 22, “River Pirates and Ruffians,” the annual children’s concert
- July 4, “America,” which precedes the fireworks display
- July 6, “Variations on America”
- July 19 and 20, the third annual “On the Banks of the Wabash” Community Band Festival
- Aug. 3, “Artistry and Rhythm,” in collaboration with the Wabash Valley Art Guild
- Aug. 17, “Gotta Love Dogs,” a fun wrapup for the season
Programming committee members Steve Humphrey, Shelley Criss, Norman Hanson, Jim Chesterson and Newlin have considered a wide range of music, including selections that have received awards or commendations as outstanding band literature. Criteria for selection of music for each program include titles that reflect the general theme of the concert, a variety of types of music marches, ballads, overtures), and music that will both entertain the audience and meet the performance level of the musicians.
The concerts are sponsored by the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Department. The THCB said it is also indebted to agencies that have supported them with grant funds the past year: Indiana Arts Commission, Arts Illiana, Wabash Valley Community Foundation and the City of Terre Haute.