The Sullivan County American Indian Council is planning a dedication to officially open Waapaahsiki Siipiiwi Mound Historical Park at 10 a.m. Aug. 3 at the park, 9098 West County Road 825 North.
According to historical records and archaeological research, this site in Sullivan County dates to the Late Woodland Era (500-1650 A.D.).
Within a half mile is the river’s edge called the “Narrows,” a well-documented crossing during the War of 1812. The park is dedicated to the indigenous American Indians who lived along the river and the early frontier life.
The council has developed a walking trail around the site and offers an area near the arbor to enjoy an afternoon in the park. Artists have added chainsaw carvings; “the keeper of the woods” welcomes visitors. A Woodland Village is developing to include the heritage flora and fauna.
The property is owned by Indiana Michigan Power, AEP. The Sullivan County American Indian Council is now the caretaker of the land and the park.
For more information call the council at 812-696-2731 or visit www.scaicouncil. org.