TERRE HAUTE —
Five bands from communities around Indiana will join the Terre Haute Community Band for the third annual “On the Banks of the Wabash” Community Band Festival on Friday and Saturday in Fairbanks Park.
• On Friday night the Terre Haute Community Band will perform the children’s concert, “River Pirates and Ruffians,” which was rained out earlier this summer and will be conducted by Norman Hanson. Activities will include free face painting, instrument petting zoo, pirate treasure, a pirate parade and free books from the Vigo County Public Library.
Yvonne Newlin will conduct the THCB Saturday concert.
• The Old Dam Band, from Newburgh, is new to the festival this year. The name of the band traces its roots to the 1960 replacement of the lock and dam on the Ohio River in Newburgh. When the old dam was removed, the control building and houses were given to the town of Newburgh. The community band was founded by Don Schultz and his wife in 2000 and held rehearsals in the control building.
• The 38th Infantry Division Band of the Indiana National Guard is 55-member unit, commanded by Chief Warrant Officer 2 Patrick L. Palumbo. The band performs a wide variety of music from traditional marches to jazz and popular musical styles.
• The Bloomington Community Band is an all-adult volunteer concert band includes 50 to 60 members, 18 to 85 years old The band performs an average of 20 concerts each year in Monroe County and the surrounding areas.
• The Montgomery County Civic Band was formed in 1964 by Phillip G. Wright, originally based on the model of a circus band. The band performs a variety of musical styles every other Sunday afternoon from June through July at the Pattison Pavilion on the grounds of the historic Lane House in Crawfordsville.
• The Greater Greenwood Community Band was founded in 1993 by Duane O’Niel. The band performs in the summer at the Surina Square Amphitheatre and other venues in the community throughout the year.
The New Age Combo is a newly formed group under the direction of Norman Hanson and will be the opening act at the festival.