Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Downtown Terre Haute’s First Friday is a monthly evening that encourages collaboration among downtown merchants, museums, galleries, and university and commercial venues. The initiative showcases area artists, institutions and merchants by promoting the First Friday evening of each month, generally from 6 to 9 p.m., as a community night for experiencing aspects of downtown.
First Friday contributes to a healthy art scene and promotes the ongoing exchange and discovery of venues, artists and patrons. First Friday is promoted and informally administered by Downtown Terre Haute Inc.
For more information, visit the downtown calendar at www.choosedowntown.
• BookNation will stay open until at least 9 p.m. on Friday for one more First Friday downtown, with a blowout, two-day Beer Box Sale planned to begin that morning.
The shop’s last day of business is Saturday.
For more information, call Todd Nation at (812) 232-2595.
• Modern Charm will celebrate its grand re-opening from 5 to 9 p.m. Friday at a new location in downtown Terre Haute at The Crossroads at 9 S. Seventh St.
The new space will offer handmade merchandise. For more information vist: www.moderncharm.biz or call (812) 870-4652.
• The Swope’s “Reflecting Terre Haute” exhibition opens (see above).
• River Wools … A knitting Place joins with others in the yarn industry in Stitch Red, a project to support The Heart Truth. Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women in the United States. Heart disease kills more American women every year than all types of cancer combined. Friday is National Wear Red Day in support of heart health. To support this important project, River Wools is hosting Stitch Red/Wear Red First Friday from 5 to 9 p.m.
The public is invited to attend for all or part of the evening. Knitters, crocheters and weavers are invited to bring a project to work on that evening.
Heart-healthy tips will be shared and heart healthy snacks will be served. Test your knowledge of heart-healthy practices and be eligible for prizes.
Five percent of all profits that day will be donated to the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health for The Heart Truth project.
For more information call (812) 238-0090 or visit www.riverwools.com.
• The Halcyon Art Gallery is presenting an invitational exhibition, “Above and Beyond,” from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday that includes 20 well-accomplished and respected artists from the state of Indiana. The exhibition is expressing a personal vocabulary through engaging art materials to its limit.
The exhibitions will be on display through Feb. 26. The Halcyon is beside the Swope at Seventh and Ohio streets. For more information visit www.halcyonartgallery.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (207) 807-8799. The exhibition is free.