TERRE HAUTE —
An awards ceremony for the 2013 Max Ehrmann Poetry Competition was held on Friday at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, recognizing new poetry written by Wabash Valley residents.
The competition, presented by Art Spaces Inc. and Arts Illiana, was open to residents of Clay, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan, Vermillion and Vigo counties.
The third annual competition was part of 2013 Year of the River celebration, a community-wide initiative through which more than 90 groups and organizations are presenting arts, environmental educational and recreational events focused on rivers, primarily the Wabash.
The contest theme was rivers, their watersheds or water as they impact our lives. A total of 349 poems were received from 312 people. The competition judge, Indianapolis-based poet, Chris Forhan, read some of his own works at the ceremony.
Max Ehrmann, who was born in Terre Haute, wrote about a wide variety of topics, but he often returned in his writings to observations on the world immediately around him.
Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College sponsored the competition. Additional support was provided by Big Picture, Delta Kappa Gamma, Golden Frame, Indiana State University, Vigo County Education Foundation, Vigo County Historical Society and Wise Pies.
Eighteen and older award winners
• Mark Minster, third place, Terre Haute, “Your neighbors, too.”
• Frances Frame, second place, Terre Haute, “The Road Was Familiar.”
• Zann Carter, grand prize, Terre Haute, “rain, leaves, longing.”
High school award winners
• Elizabeth Dultz, Terre Haute North High School, “Riverside Musings.”
• Lenora Keegan, Lincoln Heritage Christian Academy, “The Cottonwood.”
Middle school award winners
• Zoe Thompson, Rural Community Academy, “A Sunday on the River.”
• Sarah Newport, Otter Creek Middle School, “The Night the River Never Stopped Rising.”
Elementary school award winners
• Peyton Bledsoe, Rural Community Academy, “The Flood.”
• Halee Grimes, Rural Community Academy, “Friendship.”
For more information, contact Art Spaces at 812-235-2801 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.