1. POPE BENEDICT XVI TO STEP DOWN
The 85-year-old pontiff, the first to resign in nearly 600 years, says his advanced age and diminishing strength have made it too difficult to carry on.
2. MANHUNT FOR EX-LA COP MOVES TO SUBURBS
Police surround the Irvine home of a believed target of Christopher Dorner, and evacuated a San Fernando Valley store after a reported sighting.
3. GATES BACKS OVERSIGHT OF DRONE PROGRAM
The former defense secretary supports proposals for a special court to review Obama's deadly strikes against Americans linked to al-Qaida.
4. SNOWED-IN NORTHEAST TRIES TO GET BACK TO WORK
Public transit returned after more than 3 feet of snow fell in some places, but New York was still waiting to open a major highway on Long Island.
5. STAMPEDE AT HINDU FESTIVAL KILLS 37
At least 30 others are hurt when thousands celebrating the Kumbh Mela fell into a crush rushing between train platforms.
6. SENATOR THREATENS TO DELAY OBAMA NOMINATIONS
Lindsey Graham says he will hold up confirmation of CIA and Pentagon nominees until he hears more about the Sept. 11 Benghazi attack.
7. SEPT. 11 DEFENDANTS SAY GOVERNMENT EAVESDROPPING ON THEM
Lawyers for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four others say a sound glitch at Guantanamo Bay made them worried others are listening to their private conversations.
8. TWISTER DAMAGES MISS. CAMPUS
The governor was to tour hard-hit Hattiesburg today where windows were blown out and roofs ripped off at his alma mater, University of Southern Mississippi.
9. GRAMMYS SPREAD THE LOVE WITH SURPRISE BEST ALBUM WINNER
Mumford & Sons' Babel won the top prize, while the Black Keys' Dan Auerbach took home four trophies and Fun. won best new artist.
10. WHY YOU'LL FIND THE YANKEES PRESIDENT AT DOG SHOW
Randy Levine, co-owner of Mitch, a 5-year-old yellow Lab, says: "He's like Derek Jeter. Very calm."