Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
• The Vigo County School Corp. Board named Debra Petty, a Chauncey Rose Middle School reading teacher, the VSCS teacher of the year.
• Sam’s Club opened at 4350 U.S. 41 South and Ritter’s Frozen Custard at 4900 U.S. 41 South.
• Ted Kaperak, a six-time city golf champion, broke the Hulman Links record to win the Men’s Senior City Championship. This was his first entry into this 50-and-over tournament.
• Vermillion County residents turned out to show appreciation to the 70 members of the Alpha Co., 1st Battalion, 148th Infantry of the Ohio National Guard, who were leaving the Newport Chemical Depot. They had served 11 months protecting the deadly nerve agent VX stored at the depot as part of the homeland defense program.
• Kelly Flanagan, a quality engineer at AET, was named Volunteer of the Month by the Volunteer Action Center for her service to the Big Brothers Big Sisters program.
• New sorting and packaging was in use at Columbia House. It reduced the time for a customer to receive an order to 10 days.
• Bob Agnew, construction consultant for the Vigo County School Corp., said these five building projects should be completed by August, 1988: Davis Park, the Fairbanks/Greenwood replacement, Lost Creek, Sugar Grove and West Vigo. Duane H. Moore was the superintendent.
• The Paper Chase, 618 Wabash Ave., was now open. Dorothy Drummond and Harriet Caplow were the owners; Gwen Buchanan the manager.
• The Terre Haute South Vigo Braves and Northview Knights outscored the West Vigo Vikings and Terre Haute North Vigo Patriots at the high school football jamboree at Memorial Stadium.
• Plant manager Robert McLaughlin announced plans for the construction of a $15 million expansion at the Ampacet Corp. facility which had opened in 1972 at 3701 N. Fruitridge Ave.
• The Terre Haute Oberlandler Club was host to an Indiana German Heritage Society tour of Vigo County. The first stop was the Eugene V. Debs Home and Museum.
• The Terre Haute Boys Club sponsored the Larry Bird Classic for the fourth straight year with more than 225 golfers at the Country Club of Terre Haute.
• The Terre Haute Americans left Little League Park by bus for Detroit to compete in the Northern Little League Tourney.
• Loeser & Sons Inc., wholesalers of automotive supplies and garage equipment, opened a modern machine shop at Ohio and 11th streets with Gene Roberts as foreman. Jack Loeser headed the firm founded in 1917 by Julius Loeser.
• A 73-day-old strike at Terre Haute Malleable & Manufacturing Co. ended after a successful drive for settlement led by Mayor Ralph Tucker.
• Plans were announced for the resurfacing of U.S. 41 (Third Street) from Lafayette to Margaret avenues and the widening of the street from Hulman to Poplar streets into a six-lane divided highway.
• “Defrosting drudgery gone forever” was the key phrase in the Cecil B. Marvel Appliance advertisement for a Frigidaire no-defrosting refrigerator and freezer. The store was located at 1210 Wabash Ave.
• John K. Lamb, executive vice president of the Chamber of Commerce, received the Outstanding Citizen’s Award from the Vigo County American Legion Council. Previous recipients were Joe Lowe and James Conover.